This recipe literally changed my life.
First, the recipe is minimal and safe: it contains no alcohol that can be irritating, and no aluminium salts (which are maybe the most harmful compounds found in cosmetics, for their recognized link with breast cancer). And it’s by far the most effective deodorant!
|Sodium bicarbonate||24||Reduce bacterial growth|
|Vegetal glycerine/Aloe vera||10||Emollient|
So, how does it work? To sum up: it is a hostile environment for bacteria – which are responsible for the transpiration smell.
The shea butter is a fatty matrix in which there is almost no water – so no possible bacterial growth. Plus: the sodium bicarbonate increases the pH, reducing again the bacterial growth. The starch plays an additional water-absorbing role: it really dries the underarm. And that’s it!
Flexibility on the ingredients: any solid vegetable butter will work.
Aloe vera is not indispensable, it can be replaced by a floral water, but this could reduce the creamy texture.
You’ll need a casserole, a container and a fork.
- Melt the shea butter in a casserole or in a hot-water bath
- Add the sodium bicarbonate and mix it
- Add the maïzena (if you directly add the maïzena it may cook)
- Add the aloe vera juice
- Finish with the essential oils
- Blend a last time
Pour in your countainers, and leave them cool down in the fridge.
A small amount (half of the quantity of cream for the face) is sufficient to be effective.
You can take the anti-perspirant with your finger of with a small comestics spatula.
- If you have a sensitive skins, I recommend that you increase the shea butter/maizena ratio: it will be more oily, and less aggressive for the skin.
- You can add essential oils for a nice smell. I use bitter orange essential oil: it smells delicious !
FOR MORE HOME-MADE RECIPES: