Like the face cream, this balm is an emulsion, but richer than the cream (the oil phase is more important). For the aqueous phase, we can used demineralized or floral water, and optionally aloe vera.
Whatever the origin of the vegetable butter (think about its the plant growing conditions, and about the length of transportation), they will all work by leaving a thick lipidic layer on the skin.
100 mL is an appropriate amount to prepare, to be stored in the fridge, from which 30 mL amounts can be regularly taken for room temperature storage.
- a precision scale (ideally 0.1 g),
- a heating plate + pots or a heating bowl,
- an electric hand blender (or good physical shape for sufficient hand mixing)
- a soft spatula and spoons
- optional: a funnel to transfer into your container
- Melt the beeswax and the emulsifier in the hot water bath
- When melt, add the vegetable oil and mix all fats with a spoon
- On the side, filtrate the tea and add the aloe vera gel
- Mix both phases (lipidic and aqueous) (the order is not importance, but they should have similar temperatures to avoid the fat to set)
- Important: add a few drops of a preservative (for example the Cosgard / Geogard 221)
- Mixer all with an electric blender for a few secondes, until getting a white and homogeneous appearance (3 seconds shouls be enough!)
- Let cool down for a few minutes until roughly 30°C
- Optionally: add a few drops of the essential oils of your choice, and blend again with a whip or fork.
- Pour it in the final packaging (opaque is better for preservation)
On the packaging : it is recommended to systematically write down the date of fabrication, and the estimated storage duration (for an emulsion: 3 months in the presence of 0.6% of the Cosgard preservative). Packaging is also your space of visual expression: the moment to get creative =)
Ideas of uses
- Perfumed body/hand cream: for a flowery smell, add 10 drops of essential oil of ylang-ylang and 10 drops of palmarosa
- Hand cream: for a fruity smell, for 100mL, add 10 drops of orange essential oil
- Mosquito-repellent cream: for 100mL, add 15 drops of lemongrass essential oil