Welcome to this site about the formulation of cosmetics and hygiene products.
- You’re curious about the formula of the products you use everyday
- You doubt about the efficiency of natural products
- You are looking for recipes to create your own products
Then this place should answer your questions, and stimulate your creativity for the elaboration of your own everyday products !
Let’s start by 5 reasons for starting to make your own cosmetics and hygiene products:
- It’s easy and gratifying: you’ll feel like a chemist and a cook !
- Your products will be efficient and specifically designed for your needs and preferences (fragrance, properties…)
- It’s cheaper: at the store, a good natural product can bey 2 or more times more expensive than a standard one. When you make your products, and know what and where to buy, you can considerably reduce their cost. It also makes gread personalized gifts.
- It’s ecological : as you decide which ingredients you use, you can encourage:
> Local production, short distribution circuits, faire-trade…
> Organic cultural practices, non-modified ingredients…
- It’s safe: as long as you apply the basics of cosmetics formulation, the products are absolutely safe. As for the risk of allergy for sensitive skins when using new ingredients or essential oils, the traditional 24h skin test is recommended*.
Two categories are proposed:
- Ingredients & formulation basics (work in progress)
- Recipes of Cosmetics, Body hygiene, Cleaning products
The recipes proposed correspond to “basics”, that is to say they can be personalized with specific active ingredients and perfumes (for example essential oils).
The function of each ingredient is explained, so that you can then autonomously prepare your own recipes. To ensure the flexibility of the recipe and reduce waste, I suggest alternative ingredients with similar functionality. All of this may also help you chose your commercial products more consciously.
I hope that these recipes and explanations will inspire you make your own everyday products !
About the author:
I’m Julie-Anne, plants & science lover. I have crafted my own products for several years, according to a minimalist principle: with few carefully selected ingredients.
This site presents the “must-have” basic recipes, focusing on justifying the choice of each ingredient and dosage. I hope it will provide you the keys to more simple, flexible fabrication, and some inspiration.
Do not hesitate to contact me for any question or suggestion.
*Skin sensitivity test: Apply some product on a small area and check during the next 24h that you observe no skin reddening.
NB: If you are wondering about the toxicity of some ingredients in commercial products, further information can be found in the reports of the corresponding authorities (food, health of cosmetics) are available on their websites (specific to your geographic area) and should clarify these topics, as far as the scientific research is so far.